<span class="highlight">tyre</span> <span class="highlight">pressures</span>

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 16:04
ThreadID: 51506 Views:3027 Replies:12 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
I have been following with interest the debate on this forum between those who advocate keeping them high or reducing when on corrugated or stoney roads/tracks. Both camps seem to have strong views and arguments to support their preference.It appears that the case for high pressure is that the side wall is better protected therefor less tyre damage. The exponents of the let them down scenario base their argument largely on the lower pressures being easier on the vehicle (mainly suspension) its contents and occupants. My question is (and I have my helmet on waiting for some to jump all over me with their hob nail boots). In a situation a long way from civilization?? what would you rather do, change/ repair tyres or suspension components?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Dennis F (WA) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 16:17

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 16:17
I firmly believe lowering tyre pressures on outback tracks is the best thing to do.When traveling the Gibb River Road and the Bungle Bungle tracks i dropped my pressures to 25psi on my Patrol.It gave me a good ride and punture free.The same cant be said for several other travelers who we came across using road pressure.But some people cant be told and puntures and destroyed tyres is the result.Not to mention damaging the tracks.
AnswerID: 271228

Reply By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 16:28

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 16:28
It can end up a bit of a choice between a puncture through the tread, or through the sidewall.......speed kills (tyres)

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 271231

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 16:53

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 16:53
A couple of good points that I should have mentioned, track damage and speed kills and not just tyres. Driving along a remote track somewhere the last thing Iwould like is another vehicle coming the other way with the driver thinking he is in the Paris-Dakar rally.

cheers
FollowupID: 534201

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 18:25

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 18:25
Hi Andrew,
If you look at my rig pics, there is a 235/85 16 tyre at aprox 25PSI, taken along the Old Ghan Line, next to a railway spike.
I'm not about to inflame the whole tyre presure debate, BUT how much more vulnerble is my side wall to damage now compared to high inflation presure.
Like I said in the previous thread, tyre presure in a personal thing
FollowupID: 534214

Follow Up By: Member - andrew B (Kununurra) - Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 07:19

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 07:19
Gday Shane

Possibly the lower pressures make for better travelling without too much sidewall exposure for people (like me) who run 70 or 75 series tyres, but the extra sidewall to tread ratio you get with an 85 series tyre may provide a better ride at the same (high)pressures on rough roads, and the same profile (85) may expose the sidewall a bit more than the 75 series tyres at say 25 pound.

There is no right and wrong (IMO), every setup and tyre combination is different.

Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 534270

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:11

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:11
I agree,
What works with one, will be no good for the other.
25 psi in a 10 ply tyre gunna be a lot different than 25 psi in a 6 ply.
Shane
FollowupID: 534278

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 17:09

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 17:09
Have a talk to locals that have good evidence to back-up their theories. Talk to the garage owners at Copely or Birdsville. These people have to repair the damage wheels from people who have been traveling to fast when to heavy and at to high a tyre pressure every day.
AnswerID: 271233

Reply By: Louie the fly - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 21:01

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 21:01
Made the mistake of running highway pressures on the Strezlecki Track some years back. Got a blowout early evening, had to change it in the dark, put tent up in dark, etc. etc. Next day we drove from Montecollina Bore to Maree without a spare. I suspect it was from the build up of heat in the tyre. Lesson learned.
AnswerID: 271283

Reply By: splits - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 21:33

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 21:33
I am inclined to agree that speed and excessive loads cause more damage to tyres than pressures. I have found that lower pressures make a big difference on mountain tracks at low speeds but I am not so sure on flatter more open roads.

I will always remember a trip I did back in 1967 when I left the Army base at Darwin to drive to Sydney. I reached Mt Isa then looked at my map and noticed the road down to Boulia and across to Winton was marked in the same black line as the main highway. I assumed that meant they were both sealed so I decided to go via Boulia thinking I might see some Min Min lights. The road soon changed to dirt a few ks out of Isa and got progressively worse. At one stage I was following two wheel tracks and I came up out of a dry creek bed and went between a house and what looked like a barn. I got through to Winton ok and was pleased to see the bitumen again. Nobody thought about tyre pressures back then yet I got through with no flat tyres and no car damage, apart from a polished sump guard, simply because I drove very carefully according to the conditions. The tyres were Dunlop SP 41 street tyres and the car was a Morris Cooper S!

Years later I worked in the motor industry for rmany years in western NSW and the Snowy Mts. I can't ever remember the local people worrying about tyre pressures. The farmers drove their often overloaded utes all over their properties, mountain tracks and dirt roads in all weather with 7.50x16 tyres and split rims. If they were constantly having tyre problems they would have let us know in no uncertain terms.

Brian
AnswerID: 271290

Reply By: Lindsay1 - Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 23:41

Sunday, Nov 11, 2007 at 23:41
I have tried both, 40PSI on gravel road resulted in rock through near new tread. 28PSI fully loaded towing Hawk no punctures or probs 3000k trip gibber and gravel.
AnswerID: 271310

Reply By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 07:34

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 07:34
Its not rocket science !

Drop your tyre pressures, drop your speed, and in all cases do not charge straight up the road.

Try dodging rocks, gibber, ect, and you will preserve your vehicle and your tyres.

Simple as that !

Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 271318

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky (VIC) - Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:36

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:36
There is something else to add.

I have Cooper ATR's, and at first hated them ,, seem to drag the Navara off the road all the time ...finally got that fixed.

Now they have almost 100,000 km on then, (still going strong) Apart from a couple of chunks out of them, never had a puncture. That includes 2 trips up into the desert.

Proves a point do you think , drop pressures, drop speed and play dodge the rocks.

Cheers Bucky

FollowupID: 534280

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 12:17

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 12:17
"dodge the rocks" is an important point actually. Numerous times we've travelled in convoy with someone with poorer eyesight and over same tracks they often "hit" the obstacles that you should be taking care to avoid and invariably they have had tyre troubles - more than coincidence. This is what is meant by the term "drive to conditions" - if you can drive at a speed that means you are able to see upcoming obstacles and have enough reaction time to take the best path and avoid the worst dips, or rocky patches, or not scrape your sidewalls along the sharp rocks then that's the speed you should be going.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 534302

Reply By: AdlelaideGeorge - Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:12

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:12
Hi

My experience has been over about 20,000kms with 'from new' Desert Duelers in a heavily loaded Triton - pressure 1: Highway and highway speeds; pressure 2: all unsealed roads- lower speed (80kph) and lower pressure; pressure 3: real low pressure in sand and extreme rock hopping - very low speeds.

Never had a puncture and still got the same tyres on 40,000 kms later.

Happy days
George
AnswerID: 271320

Reply By: mfewster - Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:14

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 08:14
If ever there is a person qualified to give advice on this topic it is Jol Fleming, Director of the Finke Desert race for years (which runs up the Fink river Rd, with lots of exposure to the dreaded rail spikes). He is also the Director of 4WD Awareness. He is adamant. Reduce pressures (and speed ) off road. There was an excellent illustrated article on his website explaining why. His website seems to be down at the moment, but Google for Jol Fleming and you might be able to locate it.
AnswerID: 271321

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 12:11

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 12:11
Jol isn't the only one who advocates this practise. Most drivers with experience (those with years of extended outback trips across various vehicles, or local living in outback areas) will take this approach. Those who are still in disagreement usually don't share this level of experience.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 534301

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 12:35

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 12:35
Site Link

;-)))

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 534306

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C. (QLD) - Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 12:44

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 12:44
Hmmmm..... try again
Site Link

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 534309

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 09:07

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 09:07
Pop,

You raise the question for me as to who changes, or more the point, doesn't change their tyre pressures on the bitumen?

Does every one run the same pressure urban/low speed running empty, and higher speed running loaded?

I know I change pressures for bitumen with different speed and load combinations, so why not for tracks/dirt?

I think the real question is how much to lower pressures on tracks/dirt?
As mentioned above, different vehicles and tyre ratings require different pressures for the same track.
AnswerID: 271332

Reply By: mfewster - Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 13:52

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 13:52
Thank you Ed C, that was the site I wanted. Old Plodder, I think the reasoning on the site is a good way to go about the calculations you refer to. Same logic.
AnswerID: 271360

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 15:07

Monday, Nov 12, 2007 at 15:07
I had my 2 bobs worth on the last post re this subject so will only
add that if it is necessary to lower pressure to prevent suspension damage you are....1. travelling too fast. or 2. your suspension is not up to the task you place before it. My experience says higher
pressure costs me less money..so high it is.....oldbaz.

AnswerID: 271371

Sponsored Links